[Review] Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl

By Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 At 12:10 AM |

I read Matilda it was years ago, when I was little, I guess. And, I was in love with the novel.

Although it seemed that for me Matilda was the only Dahl’s captivating book, I couldn’t help it when I saw “Boy, Tales of Childhood” a few months ago.

With around 30% of discount, I grabbed the book--which happened to be the only one on the shelf. Yet, I had no time to read it until last week.

Not so surprising, I was also in love with this memoir. There are five episodes of Dahl’s life that I have a thing about:

  • The time when he did something funny at the sweets shop.
  • The time when he got his adenoids taken out (a surgery without any anaesthetics!).
  • The time when he started to lose faith in religion.
  • The time when he had to go to Repton and had to put on funny uniforms.
  • The time when he was trying to get a job that could send him to Africa or China.
This book is definitely something I want my kids to read. So rich in wonderful, funny, touching details.

You should read it.

This book is definitely something I want my kids to read. So rich in wonderful, funny, touching details.

You should read it.

An interesting note he made on writing as a job:

"A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom."

I'd like to know what you think of those phrase...I have mine--secretly kept in mind.

Labels: ,

for this post

 
Blogger Titish Says:

I love Roald Dahl!
Sedang berusaha melengkapi koleksinya...
Tp yg ini belum baca =)

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Leave a Reply

eXTReMe Tracker