A Great Weekend

By Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom On Tuesday, October 02, 2007 At 4:12 PM |

This is the month of Ramadhan, a month where Moslems all over the world are fasting. Of course, I am. My family, too. Also my friends.

Every now and then, we gather to break the fasting. Just like last Saturday, my friends from campus and their husband or wife and kid assembled in a restaurant named Ikan Bakar Cianjur located in Cipete to break our fasting together.

It was fun although not everyone was coming. Nia, Ari and I brought our dear husbands while Dony brought her lovely wife and son. The food was great, the chit-chat was nice.

On the way home, my husband took me to a department store where he bought two pairs of goggles, one for him and one for me. We need them to ride his bike. His was broken while I never had any for he always said that I looked funny wearing one. But then, about three weeks ago, something got into my eyes while we rode on his bike and it hurt a lot. So, he decided not to make fun of my face wearing a pair of glasses anymore so that I can buy one and protect my eyes.

After buying the goggles, we went to a supermarket and bought some water spinach (kangkung) and canned sardines for ‘the dinner.’

Let me explain about the concept of meals in Ramadhan.

Right after sunset, we break the fasting. But, this is not the dinner. It’s the breakfast for the day in Moslem’s calendar starts right after sunset. Then, before dawn we would eat again, and this is the dinner.

After ‘dinner’ we are not allowed to eat again until the breakfast time comes. That is the time when we fast. In my country it takes approximately 13,5 hours. What’s so amazing about fasting in my religion is that the more you pray or read Al-Qur’an the more vibrant you are. That’s the beauty of faith.

So, back to my weekend. The next day, my hubby, daughter and I went to break the fasting at my mother in law’s. I brought bubur sumsum (it’s a kind of snack made of rice flour and coconut juice and served with some liquefied brown sugar). She seemed to like it. And I was veeery glad ‘coz I put lots of effort preparing the snack.

So, there it was…a story of my great weekend.

Labels:

for this post

 
Blogger Lapa Says:

TOP PORTUGUESE UNIVERSAL WRITER: CRISTOVAO DE AGUIAR.

He has, also, translated into Portuguese the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

He has been awarded several prizes.

Don't forget the name of this great author, you'll be hearing of him soon.

Thank you for spending time in Universal Culture.

Thanks for visiting.

 

Leave a Reply

eXTReMe Tracker