Five on Friday - my very 1st time!

By Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom On Friday, January 12, 2007 At 10:32 AM |


Playtime

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?

  • Let me think...hm...dolls? Hm...oh now I remember! Monopoli, chess, halma...those are my toys...are they toys? No? Hmm...
  • I also played with Indonesian traditional toys such as congklak, bekel and gangsing

2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?

  • With other kids, but mostly with my cheating and never wanting to lose the game 'lil brother. Huh!

3. What was your favorite children's game?

  • Hm...I think this question should be answered with the answer to the 1st question above. My fave is halma...
  • But...my most fave Indonesian traditional toy would be congklak! :D

4. What kind of play were you most interested in?

  • Know what, my brother and I used pencils and pens and eraser gum and pencil box to play with. And we pretended that the pencils and pens were the people and the box was the house and sometimes the eraser gums were the pillows or sofa. It was fun. But, my bro refused to put them back to their places and I had to be the one to clean up the mess...huh!

5. How well did you share?

  • Very well, I believe...when it came to toys I think I was nice...
picture taken from here...

Labels:

for this post

 
Blogger Atasha Says:

Hey I learned something new today. Well I learn something new everyday but you know. Interesting games. I admit I haven't read the complete paragraphs on them but I will later once these kids stop trying to grab on my leg. Hehehe....

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

:D Can't wait 'til you read the whole paragraphs...

Kids, stay out of your mom, she wants to read ;D

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

Very interesting. Definitely want to do some research and find out what the toys you mentioned are like.

 
 
Blogger Atasha Says:

Ahhh, so we had our version of bekel and gangsing back home but congklak is completely new to me. I must admit I got a little confused with the instructions of congklak. I will attempt to read it again when it's not so late. My brain may be shutting down. This was great. I am glad you shared this.

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

Wow, would you pls share the other versions of bekel and gangsing?

:D

Glad that you all like the info :D

 
 
Blogger Atasha Says:

Oops Nadiah I know I shouldn't have read these things when it's late here. So I re-read the page and I did indeed make an error. I read the wrong paragragh and mistook Kelereng for gangsing. We call Kelereng, Marbles or Pitch

One would say, "You want to go Pitch Marbles? Kind of funny seeing both words mean the same thing.

So we do play marbles back home not gangsing.

Our name for Bekel is Jacks and the Jacks are shaped very different to yours. We use a tiny bouncy ball which we call a "super ball". I think probably because it just bounces so high.

Your version is a bit more challenging though as you have 1st and second round and I am almost positive the bekel are not as easy to pick up as our Jacks were.
I can only remember playing one version of this. The player bounces the ball and tries to pick up 1 jack, then bounces again and tries to pick up 2 Jacks and so on.

Not very different when you think about it.

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

wow... bekel is also my oldtime fave game too...

and it's interesting to read what Atasha shared here.. :) (Hi, Atasha! *wink*)

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

Wow...cool info you add her, Atasha...

I need to browse on jacks...

 
 
Blogger Atasha Says:

Here you go Nadiah I made a post just for you to save you the research :-)

http://ameyerificlife.blogspot.com/2007/01/for-you-nadiah.html#links

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

Wow! Thank you! Very nice of you, Atasha...

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

Oh yes, they seem easier to pick up...

:D

 
 
Blogger Atasha Says:

You are very welcomed. Geez I can't sleep again

 
 
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom Says:

Hahaha...you'd better get some hot chocolate with lots of milk to help you sleep,girl...It always works with me

 
 
Anonymous Shreyas Says:

Inspired thinking, I have bookmarked this and will come back to check

SEO Services

 

Leave a Reply

eXTReMe Tracker